Thursday, November 13, 2014

Tiepolo's Allegory of the Planets: Secondary Figures at Cornices

I am always reviewing art history on the web. This morning I found some figures by Giovanni Domenico Battista aka Tiepolo. The ceiling painting is The Allegory of the Planets. Detail views of the painting may be seen at the Metropolitan Museum of Art online collection.

 Internet Fair Use - The Allegory of the Planets by Tiepolo

I am particularly interested in the secondary cornice figures. The modeling, coloring, and shadowing is appealing to me. I have an unfinished larger painting from early in my journey that I have been wrestling with the approach for the figures. These examples are a quiet inspiration.

Details below are working from top-to-bottom and from left-to-right in the corners of the larger image above. I have chosen to retain them in their orientation rather than rotate them to lose the context in the larger painting. The photos below that I have captured are in a cool palette.

Internet Fair Use - Tiepolo Cornice Upper Left - Side


Internet Fair Use - Tiepolo Cornice Upper Left - Top


Internet Fair Use -  Tiepolo Cornice Upper Right - Top


Internet Fair Use -  Tiepolo Cornice Upper Right - Side


Internet Fair Use - Tiepolo Cornice Lower Left - Side


Internet Fair Use - Tiepolo Cornice Lower Left - Bottom


Internet Fair Use - Tiepolo Cornice Lower Right - Bottom


Internet Fair Use - Tiepolo Cornice Lower Right - Side

The three remaining pictures are in a warmer palette of selected views.

Internet Fair Use - Tiepolo Cornice Figure 01 Warm Palette


Internet Fair Use - Tiepolo Cornice Figure 02 Warm Palette


Internet Fair Use - Tiepolo Cornice Figure 03 Warm Palette

My objective is to have the figures pale as spirit figures but I will need to allow for reflected light from the environment for cohesiveness in my intended painting.

Onwards in the Daily Walk.


No comments:

Post a Comment