Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Reminiscing: Back to Basics is Required...Again

I frequently think about Scott Lightfoot and his struggles with unemployment, duty, motivation, inspiration, responsibility as a family man, and with his Artistic Endeavor. He is the reason I started my art blogs. He is gone now after a courageous bout with cancer. I revisited my first blog Impressionism From Idle Acres and many of my entries were a response of my online reviews of his blog entries.

This is my second round of unemployment in the last five years. Work life is changing in America. It may be a truism that as we get older, there is a bias against older employees. Or it may be a bias against higher salaries. A capability of companies with mature processes and procedures to get by with younger, less expensive, and lesser experienced employees. An economy that is the employer-market with lots of candidates available to choose from.

After the year end holidays, and the New England record-setting snowstorms, it appears that the employment market may be picking up again based on my personal activity results. Spring is coming and perhaps the work forces are getting back to the near term needs again after the wintery distractions.  I have a few job interviews lined up with some substance to them. Finally. This week is busy in any case with on-site interviews.

But all along this unemployment path, I have continued my Journey of a Daily Walk, of the Struggle, the Artistic Endeavor, and the Creative Pursuit.

But, thinking of Scott's commentaries, getting back to basics also means discipline. Routine. Having the studio and working the Works.  I have some spring cleaning to do. A lot really. I have my health regained so doing these projects is more feasible now then it has been in the last seven years. I am looking forward to it.

But I remember Scott's dilemma. We only have a limited time remaining. Take each day and make the most of it. Try to focus our Life's Energy to the Creative Pursuit and the Artistic Endeavor. Work mentally and physically through the limitations that impose upon each of us. The Battle. The Struggle. The Journey. The Daily Walk.  I haven't forgotten.

Just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment