Thursday, October 9, 2014

A Model of Play: Fun at Work Too

I'd like to have fun at my next job assignment. Oddly enough. It's not that I didn't have any fun in my previous roles and responsibilities. But there sure seemed to be a lot of constraints. It's just that life is getting shorter. For all of us, regardless of age. My remaining moments have even more value to me now. A prognosis of "fun" might very well become a criteria for my next job selection. With fun people too. Where do I look for that in America in this economy?

So, being an analytical, I went to look for a model of fun and play.



If work were play, we would want Anticipation, Surprise, Pleasure, Understanding, Strength, and Poise to be part of our work environment. All in a good way. And on a scale from one (at the top of the graphic) to eight (at the bottom of the graphic) we would want the Play Elements above to be the attributes associated with our work environment. So, on the low end of the scale: Interest, Appreciation, Satisfaction, Tolerance, Stamina, Dignity might describe our Play. At the high end of the scale, Wonderment, Astonishment, Fun, Mastery, Creativity, and Balance would characterize our Play.

I am not necessarily convinced that the scale words from low to high in the chart above are valid across the board. But I am OK with the model as a starting baseline hypothesis to test and evaluate. My favorite words are Curiosity, Discovery, Fun, Insight, Ingenuity, and Fulfillment.

Dear Reader, what'cha got in the work environment where you work? Any of these attributes?

Also, Catherine Homan, a PhD with interests in the philosophy of art and philosophy of play, has defined PLAY as "a space for 'transformation' that affords the possibility to determine who we are and who we want to be".

Sounds like part of the Artistic Endeavor and the Creative Pursuit!

Just thinking on things.

No comments:

Post a Comment