Tuesday, July 29, 2014

An Actionable Dream: Could This be Part of the Journey?

A co-worker friend and I were talking at length after business hours this week. We compared notes on our Daily Walk, things at work, and our career outlook. I guess we talked about some pretty important things to each of us. I was unsettled the next morning and wanted to take some specific action in my life to work through my dilemma and my gut feelings. My friend indicated that she had a dream that helped her decide what she needed to do. We had lunch the next day to share our revelations.

As she told me about her dream, I realized how it would make a great painting or series of paintings. I shared my observations with her and we discussed the concept in greater detail based on her dream, the content, the colors, and the feelings associated with the dream.

In my mind's eye, I believe it is a painting that would potentially have meaning for her throughout her life's Journey. Which is a prime motivation for her sharing the dream and for me to do this painting for her. To go through the project would also be a milestone in my Artistic Endeavor and Creative Pursuit. This may be a Beginning. So it may very well be that this project will become a part of my Daily Walk going forward. I can see how the things I have gone through thus far have prepared me, at least partially, for this. It has the potential to become part of an Original Idea. It might well pull together many of the stylistic approaches I have been dabbling with into an Eclectic Style. Mmmmm. Eclecticism. From the Greek, means "choosing the best" or "selecting out" and "picking". Can the component ideas and styles be pulled into a cohesive whole? Will the final solution be appealing, meaningful, have feeling, and depict the story effectively?

I know that I have some personal challenges. Self-discipline. Commitment to this project. Fortitude. Patience. Can my hands execute what is in my heart and my mind? Aaaaah. This is the creeping in of Self-Doubt that occurs in all things undertaken. A type of fear. An integral part of the Human Endeavor. And so I start this Journey of the JourneyMan. A focus of the Life Energy towards the Artistic Endeavor and the Creative Pursuit.

There is an amorphous fire that burns at the beginning. Life's energy, swirling, churning, bright.... This is only the seed-bulb that begins to grow out of the soil in the beginning of spring advent...like the first crocus peeking out of winter's discontent.....

Copyright James E. Martin 2014 The First Crocus After Winter's Discontent

No comments:

Post a Comment