Thursday, July 31, 2014

Angel of Grief: A Missive Requiem

The title for today's blog entry came to mind this morning even with me not knowing exactly the meaning of the word "requiem" in the moment. Of course, as I render these drawings of Angels in Grief, I am mindful of my Mom's recent passing.  The word is also reminiscent to me of a musical song. One of her wishes was to not have a ceremony or funeral...a wish that was honored by the family. Upon research, a requiem is a service or ceremony in the Catholic or Anglican denomination offered for the repose of souls of one or more persons. We are neither denomination.

I guess the Catholic or Anglican liturgy would begin with "Grant them eternal rest, O Lord". The poetic rite would include further reference to the fearsome Day of Judgment and an appeal to mercy as it is found in Jesus Christ.

Another word that comes to my mind is "missive"...a written communication intended to be sent. These are thoughts just bubbling up in me from somewhere. He who has an ear to hear, let him listen and understand.

From the 1662 Anglican book of Common Prayer, these seven sentences, the first of which I was taught and sang in song and lyric as a child:
  • I am the resurrection and the life, saith the Lord: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. 
  • I know that my Redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth. And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another. 
  • We brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the Name of the Lord. 
  • Man that is born of a woman hath but a short time to live, and is full of misery. He cometh up, and is cut down, like a flower; he fleeth as it were a shadow, and never continueth in one stay. 
  • In the midst of life we are in death: of whom may we seek for succour, but of thee, O Lord, who for our sins art justly displeased? Yet, O Lord God most holy, O Lord most mighty, O holy and most merciful Saviour, deliver us not into the bitter pains of eternal death. 
  • Thou knowest, Lord, the secrets of our hearts; shut not thy merciful ears to our prayer; but spare us, Lord most holy, O God most mighty, O holy and merciful Saviour, thou most worthy judge eternal, suffer us not, at our last hour, for any pains of death, to fall from thee. 
  • I heard a voice from heaven, saying unto me, Write, From henceforth blessed are the dead which die in the Lord: even so saith the Spirit: for they rest from their labours.
So these are my musings in the early morning as I offer another sketch of Angel in Grief. I anticipate that this rendition will be the first I render in oil paints. I have a sense in my mind's eye of the technique I wish to use for chiascuro effect and color.

Angel in Grief 02 - Internet Fair Use

Angels even of Grief are messengers of the Lord, so this is today's message that I share with you, dear Reader. My humble sketch. At this time, it speaks to me of Mom and of a friend's dream. It's all interconnected this morning. 

Copyright James E Martin 2014 Angel in Grief 02

No comments:

Post a Comment