Friday, August 1, 2014

Grief: Other Positions and Postures

I have sketched an outline and numerous component ideas for "A Friend's Dream", a potential magnum opus of a painting. But there is much work to be done to work out the details. Along the way, it seems appropriate to sketch and paint some components of the Original Idea to characterize some alternatives.

There is a main character in the painting whose primary feeling seems to be Grief as the realization of apparent, oncoming, overwhelming, potential, risky change is faced. There is an overall depiction of Isolation and Aloneness in the beginning moment. It is the Individual outside of and against a Cacophony and Interconnected Togetherness of the social world. It is the individual trying to engage the others but experiencing difficulty of Access and Acceptance. It's a puzzle. Other associated feelings are probably Anguish, Despair, and Confusion.

But the main character is on a Journey to work through the Grief process towards a Resolution of some sort in the future. I don't have much time in the day but I am working towards at least a little something each day. I keep the sketchbook with me. I research online for ideas and images and historical context. I maintain the search for completion and unity in the back of my mind throughout the day. It is a struggle to develop. I inch forward. Thesis. Antithesis. Synthesis. I hope to set aside some time in the near term to paint and elaborate on these sketches of the last few days. This is the Daily Walk.

 Copyright James E. Martin Grief 03


Copyright James E. Martin Grief 04


Copyright James E. Martin Grief 05

Copyright James E. Martin Grief 06

No comments:

Post a Comment