Thursday, August 7, 2014

A New Day: A Trek Inch by Inch

Worked real hard yesterday at just staying the course and keeping an even keel.

I started the day reading from my youngest daughter's Adventure Bible for early readers in the NIV version. Ecclesiastes chapter 3-9 was helpful from the wise man Solomon's direction. The headings included: There is a Time for Everything; Suffering, Hard Work, and Friendship; Getting Ahead Doesn't Have Any Meaning; Have Respect for God; Riches Don't Have Any Meaning; Good Advice About How to Live; Obey the King; Everyone Dies; Being Wise is Better Than Being Foolish. The verses that particularly struck me and stayed with me throughout the day were Eccl. 8:2-6.

"I am telling you to obey the king's command. You took an oath to serve him. You made a promise to God. Don't be in a hurry to quit your job in the palace. Don't stand up for something the king doesn't like. He'll do anything he wants to. He has the final word. So you can ask him "What are you doing?" No one who obeys his command will be harmed. Those who are wise will know the proper time and way to approach him. There's a proper time and way for people to do everything. That's true even though a man might be suffering greatly."

And excerpts from Eccl. 7:1-4:

"People can learn more from sobbing when someone dies than from being happy when someone is born. Sadness is good for the heart....Those who are wise are found where there is sorrow. But foolish people are found where there is pleasure...."

I found solace in pondering those things throughout the day. It is becoming to the the context.

The morning started out grey and dismal. Just a tiny bit of rain on the morning commute into the city. I had planned an early morning, first time golf outing with a new friend to get some exercise but we postponed due to weather. After the morning's review, we probably would have been safe to continue.


Copyright James E. Martin 2014 - A Grey Start

My mind was racing throughout the day. Extra diligence to stay focused on the mundane. Mental struggling to keep moving forward inch by inch. I took a mid-day walk to get the blood moving, fresh air, and away from people and work atmosphere. I was able to accomplish some work endeavors but they seemed relatively minor but inched me forward. This is unlike the real me. But perhaps there is a time and place for everything under the sun.

Copyright James E. Martin 2014 Fresh Pond

Along the stroll, I took a detour due to construction. An old abandoned rail. The road bed is there but changes its nature and eventually goes to nowhere. I was struck by the contrast of old technology and the current day state.

Copyright James E. Martin 2014 Rail Bed to Nowhere

These are the things I saw and noticed with my perspective on today's Daily Walk. If I was not working, I could do the same walk but perhaps have the time to bring the paints and easel along. But I might not have the same perspective without the trials and tribulations of my workaday events amongst people frolicking in positive outlook and laugh-filled pleasure-seeking. I am different. A sojourner is a strange land. I have always known this.

No comments:

Post a Comment