Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Angel of Grief (1894): William Westmore Story (1819 - 1895)

In the continuing saga for the potential Dream series of paintings and with my Mom's recent passing in mind, I researched the keyword Grief. Early in the search, a wonderful depiction of cemetery statuary came up by sculptor William Wetmore Story.

William Wetmore Story - Sculptor - Internet Fair Use

Wetmore died in 1895 and is buried in Protestant Cemetery in Rome with his wife, Emelyn. The Angel of Grief statue is attributed to 1894 and marks their burial tomb.  It has been widely replicated as an icon.

Angel of Grief -William Wetmore Story - Internet Fair Use

I am investigating a primary character depiction for a story that depicts a Journey of Grief depicted in a friend's dream. As a warm-up preparation to what I wish to depict, I chose a classic view of his Angel to sketch and added the roses in hand.

Copyright James E. Martin 2014 Angel of Grief: William Wetmore Story

Thank you William Wetmore Story. It characterizes the feeling at this time. I enjoyed this exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment