Saturday, September 27, 2014

A Daily Walk: Reminiscing on Beautiful Things

Been trying to walk each day to burn some calories and stay limber. I have help and encouragement to do so. My petite french girlfriend who has a high level of separation anxiety gave me an imploring look to walk with me. "Oh, please, please, please, can I go with you? Will you take me out somewhere beautiful? She is very happy when I am in her immediate presence. She loves it when my hands are all over her and holding her. She is the most happy when I return from being away for a short time. I then have her total, rapt attention. Beady-eyed, euphoric, excitement. High maintenance trophy affair!  Suitable for a conservative, mid-life crisis without getting into trouble with my beloved wife.

Copyright James E. Martin 2014 Let's Go for a Walk!

The sunlight and dappled clouds offered lots of cloudscape pictures suitable for later use.  This summer has been an incredible weather season with sunny, bright, clear days and cool evenings.

Copyright James E. Martin 2014 Cloudscape

This says a little something to me today. A once great stalwart pine, with many growth rings, cut down, remaining to tell the story that it was once bigger than most. This too shall pass.

Copyright James E. Martin 2014 Many Growth Rings

There is still beauty and strength and adventure to be had in this chiascuro pine. I like the lighting, the depth, and the layers across the field of view. The most verdant branches in the largest pines are in the uppermost reaches where new growth begins, where there is the most space, and the sunlight is the brightest. Today's lesson.

Copyright James E. Martin 2014 Chiascuro Stalwart Pine

Although the colors are autumnal and faded with sparse contrast, the perspective and the reflections are compelling in this west-side stream view. There were not any migrating ducks here this morning. In the early, early morning light, this might be a good pleine-aire painting location not too distant from the house.

Copyright James E. Martin 2014 Arboretum Stream West End

Traveling around the east-end perspective of the stream. Another view with depth, perspective, and reflections.

Copyright James E. Martin Arboretum Stream East End

As I get to the far end of the arboretum, I always enjoy the small chapel in the wildwood. This is looking south-eastward  from the stream bed with day's end long shadows draped across the treescape. There is more than one road to take to get to where one is going. Another lesson for the day.

Copyright James E. Martin 2014 Chapel in the Wildwood

At my daughter' request last week, we had hosted a wine-tasting event at the house with friends for her 23rd birthday celebration. We had a soliloquy of french, italian, and spanish wines. It was fun as we listened to each other's observations and took notes. Lots of laughs. "Subtle oaken after-tones, etc." At the end of the day, a sip of 2013 french grapes from the bottom of one of the bottles.

Copyright James E. Martin 2014 Les Lauzeraies Tazel

And as I relax, reviewing a book, Renoir's Table: The Art of Living and Dining with One of the World's Greatest Impressionist Painters by Naudin, Charbonnier, and Saulnier, a cookbook journey with marvelous pictures and text. 

Copyright James E. Martin 2014 Renoir's Table



Internet Fair Use -  Renoir's Table Book Cover


Internet Fair Use - Renoir

With my feet up. Reminiscing on beautiful things. It does my troubled heart and mind much good. If I had to pick people from history to invite to a dinner party, Renoir would be one of the finer selections for dining and dialog, I think.





No comments:

Post a Comment