Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Bewitching: The Moment of Disobedience and Decision

All great stories have a crux, or a crossing point, around which they center.

Milton's Paradise Lost poem begins

"Of Man's first disobedience and the fruit
Of that forbidden tree, whose mortal taste
Brought death into the world and all our woe,
With loss of Eden..."

In the epic of Adam and Eve, they are each bewitched, influenced or affected, by another. Satan, in the guise of the Serpent, bewitched Eve into disobedience to partake of the Fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. She, in turn, bewitches Adam to partake of the same.

Internet Fair Use - Gustave Dore's The Bewitching

"Follow me. Do what I have done. Say what I am saying. Hear things in the manner I hear them. Interpret events in the manner I propose." or....

""I am independent. I am different. I do my own thing. I think my own thoughts. I seek the Original Idea. I desire to do something that no one has done before. To blaze new trails. Make new innovations and inventions. To be the first."

Would Interaction on a social level have avoided the Fall? Would Independence or Isolation have avoided the Fall? Would we, each of us, standing in Adam's or Eve's place, have done anything any different? Lest anyone blame Eve more than Adam for the first partaking.....Could Adam have not partaken of the fruit? I think not. She and he were of the the same flesh, she of Adam's Rib.

What if everything happened for a reason? What if it was meant to be? What did these events portend of the Future?

No comments:

Post a Comment