Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Solar Flares of Employment and Disruption: Change and a Day of Reckoning

Work. Employment. A human energy Source and a human energy Drain. Part of the flow. There are daily ups and downs. I have always said "there are no good jobs". Hahaha. It's a truism. That just means there is a kernel of truth in the assertion somewhere. I am a Journeyman in a strange land. Probably the more true. When we are not interconnected, then we come to know it. This is what it feels like to be a vagabond, a hobo, a panhandler, and a vagrant. The single life. On the outside, as an observer, looking in. Traveling. Apart. This is the human drama. Part of the Journey. This is today.

There is a time and a place for everything under the sun. Change is enduring.  This is not my sandbox.

This is the Game of Survivor on the island. It's real. One can always get voted off the island. It's a game. The rules are there and can be changed. It affects the group dynamics. Just pieces on the board as they are interplayed.

There is no Supply and Demand when the transactions of exchange stop. The joy is gone. The adventure is over. Like the roller coaster slowing to a stop at the end of the ride. The end is near, I think. It's been two years. Tomorrow is Friday.

Could be the massive sunspot activity. Or the comets. Meteorites. Alignment of the planets.

Internet Fair Use - Recent Sunspot Activity

Internet Fair Use - Equatorial Solar Flares

No. On further thought.

I think it's more that I have chosen to be me. To retain the me in me. To hold that value. To invest that value. Perhaps elsewhere. The current return on investment is low. This is the Metamorphosis. Moving to a new vehicle. I think I am looking at it and seeing it for what it is. This is the Medium of Exchange. This is the Buying and Selling. This is the Purchase and Sale of Value.

I am reminded from one person today, I shall call him the Ardent Warbler, who has said something that makes me think of what a past mentor, I shall call him the High-Placed Silent Discloser, has said to me in an earlier time. "He who has the gold makes the rules". I did not return to and ended my mentoring relationship with High-Placed Silent Discloser with that advice. Not because he was wrong in the assertion. It's a truism and I agreed with him so at the time. But I ended the mentoring relationship because the context conclusion he was asserting was that our Ethical Conduct is relative to who is in charge and who we report to. "Follow the Leader" was the simple advice. Conform. But supervisors and managers change. And they each have their own self-interest and self-service that frequently may conflict with the company's interests. I suppose we all do to some extent. And if we follow the leader then our ethics and values change with the leader. We would then give self-control and self-discipline over to another. And an organization as an organism always takes on the personality and temperment and values of its leadership. Always. And I was seeking Ethics at the time from High-Placed Silent Discloser. He was duplicitous and he denied self in his role at that moment of assertion. My eyes were opened to his seeming self-preservation and selfishness in that moment. He did not serve his organization or his leadership well that day. But the paradox is that perhaps he exactly served his organization that day with his expressed value. He was the voice of the organization. It's just that I didn't share that value in that moment. That value assertion has been the organization's undoing as I have watched over time. But it takes longer for the mighty to fall.

Ardent Warbler today has suggested that there are three roles with power and influence to align to and partner with: The One who has the gold, the One who has subject matter expertise, and the One who builds software...they have the power to make the rules and rule the world.  Heheheheh.

So I realize I am using the mental precepts of Us and Them. Me and Thee. There are two sides. Although there is one team, I may well be on the outside at this time. And only now coming to realize it. Heavy is the head that wears the crown. There is a limit to my flexibility and resiliency. I have been pushed too far. And I know it. Today, I have set the limit. I recognize they get to choose in their own sandbox. I also must reconnoiter and negotiate fairly to not be in the sandbox. I get a choice also. It's just Business. But I should give them the courtesy of a heads-up as I work my transition.

I am mindful of the first verse in Psalm 121 and look up the remainder.

1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
2 My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. 
3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. 
4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. 
5 The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. 
6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. 
7 The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. 
8 The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even forevermore.

This also then is a day of Grief. This also is Living the Moment. And Living in the Moment. Please set a hedge about me in the coming storm.  There is a sure foundation, not shifting sands, to stand upon. Amidst the solar flares of energy disruption. Amidst the flow in Sources and Drains.

No comments:

Post a Comment